This beachfront aquarium is a must-see for anyone visiting Wilmington. Named as a Top Ten NC Attraction, the Travel Channel’s Best Aquariums in the U.S., and a 2012 Top Local Attraction, the Fort Fisher Aquarium is perfect for all ages with a variety of exhibits for everyone.
The NC Aquarium at Ft. Fisher explores mid-Atlantic coastal waters, marine life and wildlife through live aquarium exhibits, photographs and other educational displays. Visit the aquarium and spend a day getting up-close and personal with some rare species.
Exhibitions and Attractions
- A 235,000-gallon saltwater tank which showcases both fresh water and salt water aquatic life
- Cape Fear Conservatory is a large wooded atrium, filled with streams, ponds and swamps, home to alligators, frogs, snakes, bass, catfish and perch
- In the Coastal Waters Gallery visitors get some hands-on action. Here you can actually touch sea urchins, horseshoe crabs and other sea critters
- Cape Fear Shoals exhibit features a huge, two-story tank displaying a vast array of sea life including moray eels, stingrays, sharks and grouper plus a multitude of other varieties of sea life
- Meet Luna- a rare albino alligator
- See a loggerhead sea turtle swim in the Let’s Talk Turtle exhibit
- Adventure Reef is an outdoor play area and fossil dig for children
- Interactive Megalodon shark exhibit
- Touch a live shark in the Bamboo Shark exhibit touch pool.
- Hunt for fossils and shark’s teeth in Shark Tooth Creek
- Free daily programs include dive presentations, animal feedings and encounters.
The North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher is located on US 421 approximately 15 miles south of Wilmington, just beyond Kure Beach. Street Address: 900 Loggerhead Road Kure Beach, NC 28449
- Adults, Ages 13-61: $8, Seniors, Ages 62+: $7, Children, Ages 3-12: $6, Ages 2 and younger: Free
- There is a group rate discount of 15% for a party of 10 or more.
- You can purchase tickets in advance for your aquarium visit here.
Open daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m. year-round except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
For more information, contact the Aquarium toll free at 800-832-3474 ext. 2; or visit the website.