Thank you all for the overwhelming amount of interest and support for the Port City Marina. We are more excited than ever to get this project completed and open for the public to enjoy. Our goal is to create a top-notch product for both locals and tourists to enjoy in downtown Wilmington area and we are confident the Port City Marina will be well worth the wait.
The Port City Marina project has endured many unforeseen conditions including construction delays, permitting issues, and some of the wettest weather in eastern North Carolina history. Even with these delays our construction crews have made significant progress. Many of you have asked for updates on the construction progress, which are included below.
Construction Progress to date:
- Completed dredging the marina basin
- Completed installation of the entire marina bulkhead with concrete cap
- Completed installation of utilities for the marina
- Currently working on railing system installation (expected to be complete in the next couple weeks)
- Preparing the site to pour the concrete Riverwalk (expected to be complete in late September). This includes a stretch of 750 feet labeled the “Art Walk” featuring pedestrian art installations by local artists.
Concrete Dock Manufacturing:
After an exclusive and lengthy search process, we have chosen a very qualified experienced dock system manufacturer, ProFloat, to construct the concrete floating docks. They have started on dock construction at their warehouse in Baltimore, Maryland and we expect to have the first phase of docks in the next few months. With that said, our initial opening date of Fall 2013 is unfortunately unattainable. Rest assured we are working diligently to get the Port City Marina completed for early 2014.