Wilmington’s Outdoor Summer Concerts
Most people will agree that enjoying live music at an outdoor concert is one of the best ways to spend a warm summer evening. Luckily, summertime brings a variety of free concert series to Wilmington, NC. So pack a cooler, grab your beach chairs and head outdoors to listen to some great local music. Here are a few suggestions of places to find outdoor concerts in Wilmington this summer…
- Where: Held at Riverfront Park in Downtown Wilmington. Located at 5 N. Water St.
- When: May 24th-August 30th, every Friday evening; Music starts at 6pm
- Info: This popular Friday night live music entertainment takes place on the riverfront in downtown Wilmington. They usually feature cover bands of various musical genres (Journey, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, etc.). Coolers are not allowed but there is beer and wine available for purchase onsite. This is a picturesque concert venue, as listeners can watch the sun set over the Cape Fear River while nestled in the center of the ‘downtown’ scene. Admission is free.
- Where: At the Wrightsville Beach Town Park and Recreation area; 321 Causeway Drive Wrightsville Beach, NC
- When: June 13th-August 8th; Thursday Evening from 6:30-8pm
- Info: The WECT Sounds of Summer Concert Series features live music at the Wrightsville Beach Park. Pack a picnic, bring your beach blankets and chairs, and enjoy an evening of local music with family and friends. Admission is free.
- Where: Bands set up on the Mayfaire Event Field located directly behind Ulta and World Market in the Mayfaire Shopping Center; 6835 Main St.
- When: May-July; Every Friday evening from 6pm until dark
- Info: The series delivers a tremendous line-up of bands appealing to all ages and musical tastes from Classic Rock, Beach, Blues, 80s, funk and everything in between. The kids can enjoy several moon bounce castles, cotton candy and snow cones for a small fee. Additional activities and goodies weekly for all. Bring a blanket or chairs and pack your picnic basket or cooler with whatever you please. You could also grab some food from one of Mayfaire’s restaurants afterwards or catch a movie at the nearby Mayfaire Cinemas. Admission is free.
- Where: On the Oak Lawn in Airlie Gardens; 300 Airlie Road
- When: May-September; the first and third Friday of every month from 6-8pm
- Info: Relax under the oak trees in Wilmington’s historical treasure and well-known formal Garden while the area’s premier musicians perform. The Airlie Gardens Summer Concert Series offers wonderful music, including beach music, dance bands and jazz. It also doesn’t hurt that the setting (Airlie Gardens) is arguable one of the most beautiful places in Wilmington. Picnics, chairs, coolers and blankets welcome. Admission ranges from $2-$8.